Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Nature's Rorschach

My favorite genus is Coleoptera

Recently I spotted a new-to-me Steve Jenkins book (on beetles!) so I had to get it. Mr. B. and I pored over the cut art collages and juicy facts. (EX: Natural history museums use the Hide Beetle (whose diet consists of dried skin/dead flesh) to clean animal bones for display. Sorry--that's just cool.)




The markings on many of the beetles reminded me of inkblot tests

I think it's beatiful. I can't articulate why, but the fact that inkblot patterns have existed for thousands of years on the backs of tiny beetles is…..stunning. What other beauties and functions exist all around me, if I just had eyes to see?

Also, cool inkblot shirt and diy art.

Images via 100 Scope Notes.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Where's the beef?!